What we do: Free telephone advice, information, advocacy, and (where appropriate) representation at the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).

Advice line: 9-1 Monday to Friday 49697666 or 1800 654 504

Messagebank available outside advice line hours

Who we can assist: people renting privately through a landlord or Real Estate Agent, tenants in Public and Community housing, tenants renting Caravan Parks, homeowners in Land Lease Communities and residents of Boarding Houses. Our services are available to renters in Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Port Stephens, Maitland, Cessnock, Singleton, Upper Hunter, Muswellbrook and the Great Lakes areas of Mid Coast Local Government Area.

If you have an Order of the Tribunal, a Notice of Termination, or are being threatened with eviction, please contact us via our online form.

Hunter Tenancy Advice & Advocacy Service

Contact Hunter Tenancy Advice & Advocacy Service

Phone: 02 4969 7666
Website: https://www.tenants.org.au/taas/htaas

NDIS Support Coordination